Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Trick Yourself Into Eating Your Veggies!!

I love eating me some greens! Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach, romaine, and cucumbers often occupy a large majority of my fridge space. But some days, it's hard to get as many greens in my diet as I would like. I aim for 50% of my caloric intake to come from fruits and veggies (mostly veggies). That is very difficult when you think about how much salad it takes to equal a small piece of chicken. And if I indulge in some ice cream?? Now that requires a lot of broccoli to balance it out!! ;)

But there are some great ways to sneak green things into an otherwise non-green meal. Here are some of my tricks.

Smoothies



Fruit always over powers veggies. Always! So if I am making a fruit smoothie, I throw in a handful of spinach too. I can't taste it over the berry and citrus, but I just got a cup or more of greens!!

It doesn't look very appetizing. But I promise it taste nothing like what it looks like!!


Juice

If you have been around here for long, you know that I am a big advocate for juicing! In the real world, it's hard to get the nutrients you need everyday. But juicing fresh fruits and veggies allows me to intake a large amount in a very short amount of time. Plus it only takes 15 minutes for the nutrients to enter into your system! Talk about fast food!!

As is the case with the smoothies, Just one apple and a splash of lemon juice overpowers the flavor of the vegetables. You won't think you are drinking something that is bright green!!


Stuffing

No not like the kind that we serve on Thanksgiving.

Stuff your meats with veggies! Lots of them!! I have put small pieces of cucumber and celery in meatloaf without anyone noticing! And of course onions make a great addition to many dishes. I also like to stuff chicken with spinach! Or throw some in an omelet! Whatever you are making, cooking it with the veggies can give them a great and unique flavor they may not have had otherwise.


Replace Pasta

I am pretty sure this is my favorite trick of all. I love Italian dishes!! But the creamy sauces, cheeses and the carb loaded pasta does not help me achieve my fitness goals. So I have been experimenting with replacing pasta with different types of veggies.

Examples:

Potatoes






I made this very similar to how I would make a chicken and spaghetti bake. But instead of pasta, used potatoes!

Peppers




And onions! I admit, I was raised on hamburger helper. But no more! Now when I make a skillet dinner, I saute sliced veggies in place of pasta. Then I can try out all kinds of meats and seasonings to make different dishes!

Spaghetti Squash




This is a good standby. If you can't think of anything else to replace your pasta with, spaghetti squash will get the job done!
I have of course used it for spaghetti, but I like it best as a substitute for noodles in our Terriyaki Chicken Stir Fry!! Oh Yum!


There are tons of other ways to get your greens in. A salad is always a great way to start your dinner or lunch! And broccoli adds a great texture and flavor to some scrambled eggs!! You can make small changed to the things you already eat and make a big difference to your health!!


How do you get your greens in everyday??


No comments:

Post a Comment