Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fiber Fun

What better way to jump back on track after eating way too many Christmas goodies than a fiber challenge?!

Well yesterday's #elf4health challenge came at the perfect time.

Monday

Track your fiber intake today!
Shoot for 25-30 grams and show us your favorite high-fiber foods.



I wanted to jump start my numbers for the day and served up some fiber packing oatmeal!



Oatmeal: 1/2 cup = 4 grams
Banana: 1 large = 4 grams
Peanut Butter: 2Tbs = 2 grams

Breakfast Total: 10 grams

At this point I was actually feeling a little worried. I thought this would be my most fiber filled meal of the day and I was a little disappointed with the total.

Lunch was very surprising! I had packed a spinach salad and a bit of Philly Cheese Steak Skillet leftovers. The unexpected source came from my Ocean Spray Reduced Sugar Craisins. I knew the bag said they had less sugar and more fiber, but I was still shocked!

Spinach: 3 cups = 4 grams
Ocean Spray reduces sugar Craisins: 1/8 cup = 5 grams (holy smokes!)
Sliced Almonds: Just a sprinkle = 1 gram
Leftovers = 2 grams


Lunch Total: 12 grams 
Total: 22 grams!

Whoa! Almost there already!

For afternoon snack I had a med. sized apple which packs 4grams. Hello Finish Line!

Snack Total: 4 grams
Total: 26 grams 

I had planned a very green dinner to wrap up my fiber intake. But by the time dinner rolled around, with our unusually warm day and the fact that we can't turn our air conditioning back on, I was not about to turn our oven on for anything in the world.

Nathan wanted his favorite post-workout dinner: Hong Kong Inn. I don't know what it is but he loves to eat Chinese food after lifting. So I just had a repeat of my lunch salad. Easy. Cool.

Dinner Total: 10 grams
Grand Total: 36 grams

It wasn't as hard as I though it would be. I actually didn't change much of what I ate. I would have maybe had eggs in the morning or less spinach for dinner, but overall these are things I eat very often. I don't track my fiber intake so I had no idea how much I was getting on average. This was a great way to get an idea!


Today's challenge is to make your own salad dressing. To be honest I do not plan to participate. I looked up some recipes and I don't have enough ingredients on hand to make anything that sounded good. :( Shopping won't be done until tomorrow so I will just opt-out.


I also completed 3 rounds of Guns And Buns. I upped my weight on a few moves and I was really feeling the burn! 


Are you participating in #elf4health? Do you track your fiber intake?

2 comments:

  1. I don't typically track my fiber intake BUT I do track on myfitnesspal and I just logged in there and checked the last few days and I was at 25, 20 and 17 so I guess I'm doing OK? I have had a really hard time finding a salad dressing I love so maybe your challenge would be a good idea for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really good! I have been having a lot of fun with these daily challenges! It's not too late to sign up for round two (starting soon)Just sign up here -----> http://nutritionella.com/elf4health/

      Delete