Thursday, November 1, 2012

Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers

This recipe was surprisingly delicious! I mean, I love a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich as much as anyone but I had never made anything like it at home and I was very impressed with myself!







It was very simple too! I made a double batch and then saved half of the 'stuffing' for another meal on another night.

What you need (for a double batch)

6 Green Bell Peppers
2 (8 oz) Packets of Deli Sliced Roast Beef
8 oz of Mushrooms
1 1/2 large onions
3 T Olive Oil
4 T Butter
12 Slices of Provolone Cheese
Shredded cheese for topping (or an additional 12 slices of provolone)

Spices: to taste
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder (or minced garlic)
Salt


Preheat oven to 350*


First heat up your olive oil in the pan. Slice your onions, mushrooms, and roast beef. Caramelize your onions and mushrooms over medium heat for 8 - 10 minutes. Add butter and Roast Beef. Cook until heated.


Slice peppers in half and remove seeds. (I only used three per night) Place in a foil lined pan (for easy clean up!). Cover each pepper half with one slice of provolone cheese and fill with the Cheese Steak mixture. (Put other half of mixture in the fridge)




Cover with shredded cheese (or second slice of provolone) and bake for 10 - 15 minutes. Or until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.





These were so yummy! And hubby approved!!

Things I will do differently next time:

I would like a higher onion to beef ratio. I may just use two onions next time.
I would have liked a softer pepper. I may bake for 5 minutes before adding the cheese topping and then keep it baking a bit longer.

For the second night, I decided to slice and saute the peppers in olive oil first. Then and the mixture and serve it up like stir fry!



I think I actually liked it better this way!

This was a great recipe! I hope you try it and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment