Friday, August 31, 2012

Books Books Books!!

I am always on the lookout for something new to read. As I scroll through the lists of blogs I read, I realize I am not the only one! Apparently people who like to write also like to read! Strange huh?

Well I thought I would throw a few titles out there. These are the books I read this month.

I would like to say before we dive in here that I am, most assuredly, a Christian. I love the Lord with all of my heart and strive to live a life that pleases Him. Even in what I read.

That is not to say that I won't read a book unless it was written by a Christian author. I believe in having a well rounded education. I do not avoid a book because the Church deems it 'wrong.' Often I will read the book and prayerfully see for myself whether or not it lines up with scripture. I believe that is what scripture tells us to do.

1 Thessalonians 5:20-22
Acts 17:11
  
However, I also believe in guarding my heart. Sometimes you don't have to play in the mud to know it's dirty.

So here they are,

August Reads


This is a beautifully written book. It fearlessly confronts how flawed our hearts are. How we can so easily take our eyes off of what is good and true and give in to affairs of the heart. And how that can lead to much worse. So many things in this world are trying to seduce us and not just in a sexual manner. Beth Moore uses sound Biblical principles to teach us to guard our hearts.

 

This book was a bit hard for me to get into at first. It started out a bit confusing and hard to follow. But by the middle of the book I would get so upset if something interrupted my reading and I had to walk away from the book for a while. This book will challenge what you may think about 'getting into heaven.' I believe it represented Christ very well and was Biblically accurate. 

Okay, this book is just funny! But it is only funny if you have read a lot of Dave Ramsey books. Which I have. Or if you have watched a lot of Dave Ramsey DVD's. Which I have. Or if you have put into practice Dave Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps. Which I have. So I was laughing so hard the whole time! I read it in one sitting. Literally I did not get up from where I plopped myself down until it was done. So good!! 
Go read a ton of Dave Ramsey books, do what he says, then read this book.



This amazing book was almost like 'Part 2' of his book and DVD teaching Extraordinary. Which absolutely changed my life. I am not at all exaggerating. It taught faith, grace and mercy in a way that I had never considered before. It is an amazing book, but if you read it, read Extraordinary first.


Well I think that's it. I think I will start posting books as I read them. That way I can give a more in depth review. These are all great books and I would highly recommend all of them. 



What books have you been reading lately?




No comments:

Post a Comment