Friday, July 6, 2012

Mean Green Juice

I have been talking a lot about having juice for lunch. Just so we are clear, I am not referring to a processed juice you can buy in a can at the store. Those drinks are not beneficial at all. All the nutrients have been replaced by sugar. It would be about as effective as having root beer for lunch......


I am talking about juice from a juicer. Fresh fruits and veggies in liquid form.

There are many different benefits to juicing. For starters, I can be honest, there are a lot of vegetables that I just wouldn't eat. Sure I want to be healthy. I would go to the store and buy them with the best of intentions, then they would rot in my fridge.

But I love fruit!! I could eat fruit all day everyday!! So by adding fruit in with my veggies, I am getting the nutrients from the veggies that I know I need. And the best part is, the fruit overpowers the veggies 9 times out of 10.
Taste buds = fooled.
Waist line = shrinking.

Plus, let's all be honest. If we were to eat the amount of fruits and veggies that are recommended for the day, we would never have time to do anything else!! I can see it now, munching on some broccoli while taking the kids to school, sneaking a cucumber into the movie theater, gnawing on some celery during a meeting. Yea, that's realistic.

But by juicing I can get all my fruits and veggies for the day in one glass!

It is really not as expensive as people say either. Trust me, if I can afford it, so can you. It's all about priorities.

So here is the juice I drink almost every day. Unless I say otherwise, when I say 'juice' this is what I mean.


 


Mean Green

2-3 stalks of kale
2-3 stalks of celery
1/2 a cucumber
1 or two apples (depending on size)



It comes out very very green! And if the taste is too strong for you, add another apple or maybe some green grapes (my favorite but a bit more expensive). But this is easily five servings of veggies and one or two servings of fruit. Eat an orange sometime in the day and you are set!! Five servings of veggies and three servings of fruit. Enjoy=)

No comments:

Post a Comment